Our Privacy Commitment
What we collect
At Best Buy, we collect two types of information: personal information and non-personal information. The types of information we collect depend on the nature of your interaction with us.
Personal information is information that can identify an individual or information about an identifiable individual. We may collect personal information such as:
- your contact information – e.g., name, postal address, telephone number, and email address;
- your personal preferences – e.g., product wish lists, language preferences, and marketing consent; and your transaction information – e.g., products purchased, method of payment, amount paid, and credit or debit card number.
Non-personal information does not identify you as an individual. For example:
- we may ask you for your postal code to assist us with planning our flyer distribution;
- we may collect certain non-personal data when you visit our Web Sites, such as the type of browser you are using or the referring URL; or
- we may collect and summarize customer information in a non-personal, aggregate format for statistical and research purposes. We may, for example, summarize our data to determine that a certain percentage of contest entrants are male, aged 18 to 25.
From time to time we may supplement information you give us with information from other sources, such as information validating your address or other available information you have provided us. This is to help us maintain the accuracy of the information we collect and to help us provide better service.
How we collect information
Collected from you
Listed here are some further examples of the ways that we collect personal information directly from you and how we use it.
When you purchase a Best Buy product or service, you may need to provide us with contact and payment information (such as credit card information) so that we can process your request or complete your transaction. Examples where we need contact information include delivery services, product servicing, in-home installations, and extended warranty coverage. We also may use your contact information to send you promotional information.
Returns and Exchanges
Our goal is to ensure that you are completely satisfied with your purchase and to this end, Best Buy offers a Return Policy. For Best Buy to continue to offer our Return Policy, we ask for personal information such as your name, address, and telephone number for the purposes of detecting and preventing fraud. You may also be asked to produce photo ID for verification purposes only.
Applying for the Best Buy Credit Card
Applying for the Best Buy Credit Card
ReClaim Insurance Replacement
When working with our ReClaim Consultants to replace goods that are covered under your insurance policy, we will need some basic information, such as your contact information, insurance claim number, and the name of your claim adjuster, so we can process your quote in a timely manner and bill your insurance company directly for you.
Purchase Follow-Up and Surveys
Following a purchase from some of our departments we may send you a follow-up letter to thank you for your business, or we may contact you to ensure that you are completely satisfied with the delivery, setup, or installation of your new product. We may use contact information collected in-store, online, or via our call centres to conduct occasional surveys and other customer research. These surveys are entirely voluntary and you may easily decline to participate.
Our Web Sites
Our Web Sites can be browsed anonymously. We use your browsing history and personal information to display interest-based advertising that is relevant to you. We place interest-based advertisements on our website as well as other third-party sites. The browsing history we use is collected by us and by third parties on our website. We may also share your anonymous browsing history from our website with third parties to provide relevant ads. They may combine this information with assumptions based on the other websites you have visited in order to tailor ads to you.
To engage in certain special features or functions of our Web Sites, or to order products and services from our Web Sites, you may be asked to provide certain personal information, such as your name, email address, postal address, telephone number, or credit card information. We use this information to create your account, contact and correspond with you about your order, respond to your inquiries, and monitor functions of our Web Sites that you choose to use, such as Customer Reviews.
If you choose to ship an order to a third party, you represent and warrant that you have obtained all necessary consents from the third party to permit Best Buy to collect, use, and disclose the third party’s personal information for the purposes of fraud prevention and processing and shipping the order.
The Customer Review functionality is provided as a rating system that offers you the chance to share your thoughts on a product. These reviews are accessible to all Web Site visitors so please use discretion when posting information to them and do not post personal information.
Sign-Up for Newsletters or Updates
Best Buy offers a variety of newsletters and promotional communications. You may choose to stop receiving these communications at any time. Each marketing or promotional email we send to you will include a link or other method to quickly and easily unsubscribe and decline further similar emails. You may also use the unsubscribe link included below under the heading "Unsubscribe.”
Participate in a Contest or Promotion
From time to time, we may run contests or promotions. If you participate, you may be asked for contact information as well as additional optional survey information (for example, product preferences).
Email a Friend
While visiting our Web Sites you may choose to use the “Email a Friend” tool which allows you to inform a friend about products of interest to you. The information you provide will be used to send a one-time email to your friend, inviting them to our Web Sites. We will not add your friend to a mailing list and will not send them further email unless they choose to receive such communications from us. When using the “Email a Friend” tool you are contacting your friend directly and as such you acknowledge that you are responsible for this correspondence and not Best Buy. If you provide us with personal information concerning another individual (e.g., email address), you represent and warrant that you have obtained all necessary consents from that individual to enable us to use that personal information for the identified purpose.
Subscription Services and Activations
Best Buy may offer activation of certain products and services like cellular plans, satellite services, or Internet services. These activations may require that certain contact and financial information be collected and provided to the respective service providers as part of the activation process. For example, a cellular carrier may need to perform a credit check prior to activation so a government-issued ID number and your credit card number may be provided to the carrier for that purpose.
Best Buy operates customer support call centres to accept and address your questions, concerns, or complaints. When you contact our call centres, we may ask for personal information to help us respond to your inquiry or to verify your identity. For example if you have a question about the status of a recent online order, we will ask for personal information to verify that you are the account holder. We may also monitor or record your telephone discussions with our customer support representatives for training purposes and to ensure service quality.
In some cases, we automatically collect certain information.
Our Web Sites
When using our Web Sites, we may collect the Internet Protocol (IP) address of your computer, the IP address of your Internet Service Provider, the date and time you access our Web Sites, the Internet address of the Web site from which you linked directly to our Web Site, the operating system you are using, the sections of the Web Site you visit, the Web Site pages read and images viewed, and the content you download from the Web Site. This information is used for Web Site and system administration purposes and to improve the Web Sites.
The Web Site uses “cookies”, a technology that installs a small amount of information on a Web Site user’s computer to permit the Web Site to recognize future visits using that computer. Cookies enhance the convenience and use of the Web Site. For example, the information provided through cookies is used to recognize you as a previous user of the Web Site (so you do not have to enter your language preference every time), to offer personalized Web page content and information for your use, to track your activity at the Web Site, to respond to your needs, and to otherwise facilitate your Web Site experience. You may choose to decline cookies if your browser permits, but doing so may affect your use of the Web Site and your ability to access certain features of the Web Site or engage in transactions through the Web Site.
Web Site Tracking Information
Links to Other Web Sites
Our Web Site may contain links to other Web sites or Internet resources which are provided solely for your convenience and information. When you click on one of those links you are contacting another Web site or Internet resource. Best Buy has no responsibility or liability for, or control over, those other Web sites or Internet resources or their collection, use and disclosure of your personal information. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of those other Web sites to learn how they collect and use your personal information.
Best Buy retail stores are under video surveillance for safety and loss prevention purposes. The recorded images of our customers are viewed only when required. There may also be occasion where video footage is used for general demographic or traffic flow analysis.
How we use the information we collect
Best Buy may use your personal information for a number of different business purposes, for example to:
- fulfill orders and requests for products, services or information;
- process returns, exchanges and layaway requests;
- detect and protect against fraud and error;
- establish and manage your accounts with us;
- track and confirm online orders;
- deliver or install products;
- manage our Reward Zone program;
- process Best Buy credit card or Reward Zone Visa applications;
- track and analyze your purchases and preferences to better understand your product and service needs and eligibility;
- market and advertise products and services;
- communicate things like special events, promotions and surveys;
- tailor our online content or in-store offerings to you based on your interactions with us and your preferences;
- conduct research and analysis;
- operate, evaluate and improve our business; and
When is Your Information Removed?
We keep your information only as long as we need it for legitimate business purposes and to meet any legal requirements. We have retention standards that meet these parameters. We destroy your information when it is no longer needed, or we remove your personally identifiable information to render it anonymous.
How we share your information
Best Buy does not sell or rent our customers’ personal information to any other party. However, in the normal course of business we may share some of your personal information within our corporate family and with third parties acting on our behalf or as permitted or required by law. Some of these operations may result in personal information collected by Best Buy being stored or processed outside of Canada and, as a result, your personal information may be accessible to law enforcement and regulatory authorities in accordance with the law of these foreign jurisdictions.
- fulfilling online orders;
- processing non-cash payments;
- sending marketing communications;
- servicing products;
- conducting research surveys;
- verifying and validating information that you have provided to us;
- delivering products; and
- providing customer support services.
Best Buy has taken precautions to prevent the fraudulent use of your information on our Web Sites. Best Buy has adopted industry standard authentication procedures to ensure your protection while shopping with us online. This includes,but is not limited to, contacting financial institutions or credit reporting agencies to ensure the authenticity of your credit card and to validate your credit card billing information.
Information Shared Amongst Best Buy, its Corporate Parents, Affiliates, Subsidiaries and Divisions
Product Safety Recalls
In the event we receive notice from a manufacturer of a product safety recall, we may provide your contact information, limited to name, address, and telephone number, to the manufacturer so that they may notify you of the recall and supply details of any replacement or repair programs. This transfer or your contact information will occur only for recalls that may impact your personal safety or impair the functionality of the product you purchased from us.
Sale or Transfer of all or part of Best Buy
Best Buy may disclose your information as permitted or required by law. For example, we may be compelled to release information by a court of law or other person or entity with jurisdiction to compel production of such information. If we have reasonable grounds to believe information could be useful in the investigation of improper or unlawful activity, we may disclose information to law enforcement agencies or other appropriate investigative bodies.
How we protect your information
The security of your personal information is a high priority for Best Buy. We maintain appropriate safeguards and current security standards to protect your personal information, whether recorded on paper or captured electronically, against unauthorized access, disclosure, or misuse. For example, electronic records are stored in secure, limited-access servers; we employ technological tools like firewalls and passwords; and we ensure our employees are trained on the importance of maintaining the security and confidentiality of personal information.
Our Web Sites use encryption technology, such as Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”), to protect your personal information during data transport. SSL encrypts ordering information such as your name, address, and credit card number.
Our Web Sites have received a Cybertrust certificate to confirm that we have met with industry standard security protocols. For your online security, always verify you are on an authentic Best Buy Web Site by clicking on the Cybertrust logo located in the lower right footer of our homepage or by using the certificate validation tools provided in your Web browser.
Choosing a Password
When you create an online account on our Web Sites, you need to select a personal password. To maximize your level of protection, you should choose at least 6 characters including a combination of both letters and numbers. You are solely responsible for maintaining the secrecy of your password and any account information. Best Buy will never send an unsolicited communication asking you for your password or requesting that you update your account credentials.To learn more about email fraud, please click here.
How you can protect your information
Steps to protect your online accounts:
1. Create a Strong Password
- Create a unique password for this site and don’t re-use passwords
- Don’t use a single word, even if you use letter substitutions
- Longer is better; sentences are okay as long as they’re not
2. Change Passwords Often
- You should change your password every 90 days to help protect your account.
3. Use Different Passwords Across Websites
- Don’t use the same username and password combination for multiple websites.
4. Check Your Credit Card Charges
- Be vigilant about ensuring all your charges are legitimate. If you see any suspicious charges, contact your credit card or bank and the retailer through which the order was placed to have the charges removed and, of course, change your sign-in information on any compromised account.
5. Use Anti-Virus Software
- Install anti-virus or anti-malware software from a reputable company. Note: After it’s installed, run a full scan of your computer. Need help? Visit a Best Buy store near you or call Geek Squad at 1-800-433-5778.
6. Be on the Lookout for Phishing and Smishing Scams
- Attempts at obtaining personal information from consumers for use in committing fraud are on the rise worldwide. Individuals trick consumers into revealing personal information by posing as legitimate businesses.Best Buy is the target of many of these scams today and consumers are receiving e-mails and texts containing these fraudulent offers. Consumers can protect themselves from these schemes by being on the lookout and knowing when to disregard this type of activity.
Types of scams
Gift Card Scams
A website advertisement, e-mail or text message that offers a high-value gift card.
How the scam works: The scam directs consumers to a website that requires them to make purchases, provide personal information, and/or fulfill other conditions in order to receive the gift card. Once the conditions are met, the consumer may never receive the gift card or may have spent more than the value of the gift card.
A valid-looking e-mail, website or other online message that directs consumers to a legitimate-appearing website that requests account information and/or other confidential information. Phishing messages often indicate that a consumer’s account has been frozen or jeopardized and that the consumer must provide immediate information. How the scam works: Once confidential information is obtained, identity theft and other forms of theft can occur.
Similar to a Phishing scam, but in this situation, consumers receive a text in order to carry out the scam. Note: A gift card offer may also be the subject of Phishing and Smishing messages.
How to Protect Yourself
- Don’t respond to e-mails, text messages or online ads offering free gift cards unless you are expecting this communication from a company
- Make sure the website address and branding match up with the company referenced in the offer
- Do not pay for services or products with iTunes gift cards
- Contact organizations only through trusted channels
- Beware of e-mails and texts that have you “verify” personal information online.– most legitimate companies will never request personal information in this manner including Best Buy
- Scammers may attempt create a feeling of panic — don’t rush to respond to or follow the dictates of suspicious e-mails
- Don’t click on links or cut and paste links from questionable e-mail and text messages and websites
- Read the terms and conditions of offers — they often require that consumers take inappropriate or unreasonable actions
- URL-checker software and other software is available that can protect against phishing scams
- Report the fraudulent text to your mobile provider Please contact us if you suspect a scam regarding an offer from Best Buy. If you receive a suspicious email, please forward the entire message, including the header, to us for investigation: email@example.com.
How Can You Verify Your Information?
You may check your information to verify, update, or correct it. If you created an account on one of our Web Sites, you can access and change your online account profile yourself. You can also ask to review any of the information that we have retained, how we have used it, and to whom we have disclosed it at any time by contacting us as indicated below under the heading “Contacting Best Buy”. Subject to certain exceptions prescribed by law, and provided we can authenticate your identity, you will be given reasonable access to your personal information, and will be entitled to challenge the accuracy and completeness of the information and to have it amended as appropriate.
Data on Returned Product
When returning products which may contain stored or recorded personal information, like computers, PDAs, digital cameras, etc., you are responsible for deleting or removing all personal information and media from your product before you return it. Best Buy is not responsible for any use by a third party of personal data or media left behind on a returned item.
If you no longer wish to be contacted regarding promotions, new product and entertainment releases and how to make the most of the latest technology please visit: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/secure/newsletter-uns...
How to contact us
Best Buy is responsible for all personal information under its control. Our Privacy Manager is accountable for Best Buy’s compliance with the principles described here. If you have any questions, concerns or complaints about the privacy practices of our organization please contact us at the following:
- Online: https://www.bestbuy.ca/en-CA/secure/view-privacy-i...
- Telephone: 1-866-237-8289
- Mail: Best Buy Canada Ltd. Attention: Privacy Manager 8800 Glenlyon Parkway Burnaby, BC, V5J 5K3 We will respond to your request or investigate your concern as quickly as we can, but no later than 30 days from the date of receipt of your query.
Important Reminder about email communications: Please remember that email sent over the public Internet is not secure. If you send an email directly to us from your own email account the contents will not be encrypted. We strongly recommend that you do not send sensitive information (like a credit card number) to us via unencrypted email. Best Buy is not responsible for any transmission by you of any personal information over the public Internet.
Who is Best Buy?
Best Buy, bestbuy.ca, Geek Squad, and geeksquad.ca are divisions of Burnaby-based Best Buy Canada Ltd., a wholly-owned subsidiary of Best Buy Co., Inc.
Last Update: February 2018